“Mushrooms- meat for vegetarians!”~some guy in some ad a while back
I’ve been at work full-time for 3 weeks and when I get home from work I don’t have the luxury of time when it comes to cooking! I like the kids to eat at 6pm, bath at 6.30 and in bed by 7. I run a tight ship!
As a result, we have been eating a lot of fast food. No, don’t worry, I’m not talking about Macca’s or anything like that. I mean food that is really fast to make.
To make this recipe gluten-free, replace the soy sauce with Tamari. I still find it hard to believe that soy sauce is a naughty old gluten harbourer!!
I am still trying to stick to 300 cal per meal (Michelle Bridges 12 Week Body Transformation style) with a good amount of protein. Hence heaps of mushies.
I have those little single serve miso paste packets in my fridge at all times. I find them useful to add to dishes instead of fish sauce as a salt element. I do cheat a bit, I have been buying those puree herbs that you see in the fruit and vege section of the supermarket. They are really tasty! You can just as easily chop up fresh herbs.
Interestingly, sesame seeds are high in calcium so I get my daughter (who can’t have soy or dairy) to sprinkle them on everything.
This recipe will serve two.
- 300g Firm tofu, chopped into 1 cm cubes
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp water
- 3 smallish zucchini (about 550g), roughly chopped
- 250g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/2 pkt miso paste (about 1/2 tbsp)
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 tbsp Thai puree herbs (or just ginger, garlic, chilli and coriander)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 handful rocket
What to do
- Put the tofu in a small bowl, or shallow dish.
- Combine the grated ginger, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and water then pour over the tofu.
- Heat a non stick wok, maybe gift it a little spray with oil
- Cook the zucchini in the wok for about 5 minutes, tossing intermittently. Then add the mushroom and cook for a few more minutes.
- Combine the miso paste, lime juice & zest and herb puree. Maybe add a tbsp of water if your lime wasn’t very big.
- Add miso mixture to wok and cook for a few minutes.
- Toss through rocket just before you serve on a platter with tofu bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.