“I believe life is to be lived, not worked, enjoyed, not agonized, loved, not hated.”~ Leland Bartlett
No big video extravaganza today to mark the finish line.
I did it. I finished the official 12 Week Body Transformation. I cooked and exercised my little heart out for 12 weeks. I said no to offers of cake. I said yes to watching more closely what I put in my mouth.
Results? I FEEL SO FRICKIN’ AWESOME.
Actually, today. Not so much. I have a bad food hangover!! I had a Christmas lunch yesterday. I ate salted pork with some turkey and veggies. I had a few glasses of wine. I had a small piece of fudge. Doesn’t sound like much, the calorific content was probably about right for a treat meal. But it wasn’t very lean and it really wasn’t so clean. By 6 o’clock that night I felt ill. My body isn’t used to this kind of food anymore!! Arrgghhhhh.
Back to the celebrating me.
I got a lot out of this program. I lost weight (8.5kg), I lost centimetres (48!!!) & I lost my belly. I gained the ability to run for twenty minutes at a time (if the weather isn’t too warm). I can run longer than that on a treadmill. I gained a hunger for regular exercise. I gained a habit of drinking water. But most importantly are the last two things:
I got my groove back. I smashed my goal of going from frumpy to funky. I have a spring in my step and a fire in my eyes!
I have confidence in my ability to lose weight without losing my life.
That last one is going to keep my spirits up for the rest of my life. If I gain weight for whatever reason (and it happens, just last night I spoke with a friend who broke her toe and couldn’t do much of anything for 3 months while it healed, 10kgs gained later she feels rubbish!) I have the tools to get it off again.
Other things I learnt (the hard way….the only way) that I can whole heartedly pass on as “good advice”:
- Always eat brekky. It is the most important meal. People don’t just say that for fun.
- Drink water. Drinking water helps you keep fluid off your body. It also makes you feel good. I can see now the reason I always had a dull headache and felt lethargic was due to dehydration, not lack of sleep as I previously thought.
- Get regular sleep at regular times. Tall order for parents sometimes, I know. But getting 8 hours a night makes all the difference (10 hours would be even better).
- Snack. In between brekky and lunch, then lunch and dinner have a good snack that is about 150cal to keep your body going. My favourite is a latte and some crackers and cheese.
- Have a treat meal once a week. I’m not saying go to KFC and order a family pack for yourself. I mean skip the snacks for a day and use those extra calories in a meal to have something a bit special.
- Go check out Calorie King Australia. You can look up supermarket food and even popular eating out venues! I use this site to “build” recipes. I am becoming familiar with what foods are good and what are not!!
- You don’t need to spend lots of money of gym equipment or memberships to exercise. Borrow exercise DVDs from your friends or the library. Do some simple toning exercises that need no equipment like squats, push-ups, braces, sit-up and lunges!!
- Try to learn to run. It’s not as hard as you think! I used to be a real “I can’t run” preacher. But now I love it. Try a learn to jog program like C25K. They have apps for your mobile phone even…..
- Love yourself. Look for the parts of your body you like and look less at the bits you don’t like. The glass is half-full, not half-empty, people!
Yeah, I’m a total convert. I’ve loved this program to bits. I highly recommend it. HIGHLY. I hear that sign up for Round 1 2012 has opened up……what are you waiting for?