“If kids can learn how to make a simple Bolognese sauce, they will never go hungry. It’s pretty easy to cook pasta, but a good sauce is way more useful.” ~Emeril Lagasse
Pasta is one of my most favourite foods in the whole world. It is so changeable, comforting, easy to prepare and just plain YUMMY. And carby. That last one is not such a great thing when you are me. Don’t get me wrong, I eat carbs. In the morning. A little bit at lunch. But I try to avoid them as much I can in the evening.
Here in which lies my dilemma. I want to eat pasta dishes at night-time. And now I can!
While on holiday, my mum and I found this really cool thing called a Veggie Twister. It looks gimmicky, I know. But when I read “turn your vegetables into attractive spaghetti” my brain went DING!
And it works perfectly. I made a salmon “pasta” dish for my dad and husband. Then didn’t know it wasn’t actually wheat spaghetti until I told them.
And it was easy. I blanched the zucchini spaghetti in a little bit of salted water. They don’t really need cooking but I wanted to warm them up a bit.
This might be the best thing that has happened to me so far this year.
- 4 zucchini (about 3cm diameter to fit into Twister)
- 3-4 Bullboar Sausage (or any other, fragrant italian sausage)
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 tsp capers
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- Handful of parsley
- 4 tbsp smooth light ricotta
- 1 cup fresh peas
What to do:
- Put the zucchini through the veggie twister, peel on. Set aside.
- Set a pot of water to boil on the stove (this is to blanch the pasta at the last minute). Put a
- In a large frying pan, cook the sausage. Slice them up and return to the frying pan to crisp with a splash of oil.
- Add peas to the fry pan and cook until they become bright green.
- Add the sliced sun-dried tomato, capers and crushed garlic. Cook for two minutes and then add the parsley.
- Quickly blanch the pasta, drain it and then stir through the ricotta.
- Serve by layering in a large bowl: Pasta, sausage fry pan mix and lastly, parmesan cheese.
- Eat immediately!