“Confusion of goals and perfection of means seems, in my opinion, to characterize our age.”~Albert Einstein
Got to make me a vegan chocolate mud cake for the end of the month. I need to make it in a 10inch square tin. It needs to fill the tin to the top. Need to be carved and stacked and have fondant put on it. Needs to be firm. Needs to not be shite. *head explodes*
So, thus begins my chocolate mud cake baking experiments. I’m using my 22cm square tin for scaled down experiments. I don’t know what that it in inches because i can’t find my tape measure or ruler that has inches. DAMN YOU, IMPERIAL MEASUREMENTS!!
Can you feel the stress yet?
On the upside, people are eating a lot of cake. I am baking cake and giving it away because this has also coincided with my return to a proper health regime. It also has coincided with me returning to work 4 days a week. Good one, me.
So, first try is what you are seeing here. It’s not going to be used as my cake. It was a little bit crumbly. I have another cake in the oven right now with some alterations that I am going to talk about here.
Substituting butter is easy, milk is easy…but eggs? I Googled. I talked to people. I tried out the chia seed theory (1 tbsp chia + 3 tbsp water for each egg). Now I am trying out my Ogran No-Egg store bought egg replacement. I hope this is the key to my cake trouble. Or maybe this recipe I found isn’t really a mud cake and someone just said that because it makes it sound more appealing. I’m completely over analyzing toooooo much.
This cake tastes good. It’s a nice chocolate cake. What made it amazing was my special peanut butter icing. That, if I do say so myself, was pure genius. I think the evidence is in the photo. All I could get a picture of is one half eaten slice in the tin, right before it was snaffled up.
What you need:
- 270g brown sugar
- 3/4 cup coffee (I made decaf espresso)
- 125g Nutlex (or your chosen butter replacement)
- 50g Cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarb soda
- 150g SR flour
- 2 tbsp plain flower
- 4 eggs worth of whatever you are using instead of real egg.
What to do:
- Pre-heat oven to 160deg. Line a square 22cm tin.
- In a saucepan combine the sugar, coffee, butter stuff and bicarb. Over a low heat, melt and dissolve all the ingredients. Leave aside to cool a bit.
- Sift into a bowl the four and cocoa.
- Add the egg stuff tot eh melted stuff and then combine with the dry ingredients. MIx until smooth, but try to do it fast so that the rising agent in the SR flour doesn’t do all it’s tricks before you cook!
- Cook for about 40-50min.
- Cool in tin before turning out and icing with a combination of peanut butter, Nutlex, icing sugar, a splash of whiskey, a splash of maple syrup, a dash of salt and a nice bit of vanilla extract. Basically, just make it to your taste!!!