I actually think you could lots of different things to this recipe to make awesome new tastes. Like using peanuts and a pinch of salt instead of almonds. Or add an orange rind. Or some peppermint oil. Cinnamon and ginger. The possibilities are endless.
I have just made a basic recipe here for chocolatey yummy protein packed vegan treats. If you used raw cocoa powder, they could even be RAW food.
Some trivia: One can of chick peas drained weighs 245g.
What you need:
- 120g Chickpeas (half a can, drained and rinsed)
- 100g dates, about a cup (doesn’t have to be medjool)
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice malt syrup (non vegans can use honey)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 100g natural almonds (could also experiment with oats if gluten wasn’t an issue)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 70g shredded coconut, about 1 cup
- extra coconut or cocoa for covering the outside.
What to do:
- Blend the dates, chickpeas, rice malt syrup and vanilla in a blender until fairly smooth.
- Add the almonds and cocoa. Blend until almonds are finely chopped.
- Add the coconut. Don’t blend it so much that the coconut gets completely obliterated.
- Using wet hands, roll the mixture into balls and then roll in coconut or cocoa. Mine made approximately 20 balls.